Every winter, my mom used to make a big batch of the ground ginger and lemon slices in sugar. I used to put a couple of table spoons of ginger in the hot water and drank it almost everyday. It always warms my body and works best for my soar throat.
wash well and peel the skins
Finely grind the peeled ginger
Prepare a clean jar. I put the jar in the boiling water with a 1T of baking soda. Let it dry before using it
Put the first layer of the finely ground ginger on the bottom
You need the same amount of sugar as ginger. Since I’ve used 650g of ginger, I am going to put 650g of organic brown sugar (sugar : ginger = 1:1)
Layer the jar with ginger and brown sugar
5 minutes (left) – 2 hours (middle) – the next day (right)
Mix well and KEEP IN THE FRIDGE after keeping it in the room temperature for a day
You can pure a hot water with a 2-3 table spoons of ginger in the cup and drink it. For more intense flavor (which I personally like better), put 3-4T spoons of ginger in the water (500ml) and boil for 15- 20 minutes. Squeeze lemon to serve. Or even better, I put ginger in pu’erh tea (Chinese aged black tea) and bring it to boil for 30 minutes. Pu’erh and ginger is such a perfect combo for both health and flavor.
A few days later…
In the morning, I made a cup of ginger tea with lemon for breakfast
With a piece of bean rice cake, it tastes like heaven!
For the next post, I will write how to make lemon tea.
- For 1 jar
- 650g fresh ginger
- 650g organic brown sugar
- One clean glass jar
- Prepare a clean glass jar
- Wash and peel ginger
- Layer the jar with ginger and sugar (sugar : ginger = 1:1 ratio)
- Rest it in the room temperature for a day and Keep in the refrigerator
1. Easy way : Put 1-2t spoon of ginger in hot water and squeeze lemon
2. Intense flavor : Boil 3-4T spoons of ginger in hot water for 20-30 minutes and serve with a fresh squeezed lemon
* I often boil ginger with pu'erh tea. Ginger and pu'erh tea is such a perfect combo.